Thursday, December 6, 2012

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, Part 2

So here is part two of my Christmas music sharing, and these are all modern pieces. Again, I will link you to the song rather than putting the music video in this post. If it's too big of a hassle, just let me know, and I will consider putting the videos in. Hope these bring good memories and the warm fuzzies of Christmas :)



  • I Celebrate the Day- Relient K

If you are a Christian, like me, I would not be surprised if you cried or felt like crying from this song. It has a nice melody, and the lyrics hit home for the religious among us. Wish I could play the acoustic guitar part as well as Matt Thiessen does, but I'll get there eventually. (I Celebrate the Day) I also really like the song In Like A Lion (Always Winter) from that same CD. It's inspired by C.S. Lewis' book The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe.

  • You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch- Thurl Ravenscroft
This song is one of the coolest Christmas songs from the older movies. While I'm kind of sick and tired of the actual Grinch movies, I love the music from the original- this song in particular. GO BASSES! If a tenor sung this song, it wouldn't be the same. The lyrics are so interesting, and I like the clarinet parts underneath Thurl Ravenscroft's voice. Even his name fits the tone of the song!

  • The 12 Days of Christmas- Straight No Chaser
I think everyone's heard this song/medley by now, but to me it doesn't diminish the fact that I still like it. The a'capella is done very well, and it's funny. If you haven't heard it, you should give it a listen here. Definitely worth your time. 

  • The Christmas Song- Nat King Cole
There are a ton of different versions of this song out, but I still come back to this one every time. Nat's voice and phrasing is just so smooth. The version with his daughter. Natalie Cole is also good is as well, but I kind of prefer the original.

  • White Christmas- Bing Crosby
Even though I've lived in California my whole life and have never had a real white Christmas, I still like this song. I think it's more about the mentality the song puts you in, rather than it being correct for the area you live in. And of course, you can't go wrong with Bing Crosby singing it either. The Drifters version is also very nice as well.

  • Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas-Michael Buble
I like Michael Buble's voice, especially since it reminds me of Frank Sinatra's voice before the smoking and drinking got to it. This is a slower rendition, which is nice. Michael's voice is nice, and has a more baritone sound (i'm not sure whether he's a tenor or a baritone... if he is a baritone, he's got a great range- or at least a better one than mine). I also enjoy listening to Relient K's version, which is more fast paced and "rock-ish".

  • Cool Yule- Louis Armstrong
I had to add a jazzy Christmas song, and who better to add than good 'ol Satchmo himself? I liked this one better than his version (or any version for that matter) of "'Zat You, Santa Claus?". Good for a Christmas party, especially if you like to dance.

  • Milk & Cookies- Clint Black
Yes, this is country, and yes I like it *surprise, surprise*. This has been a part of every Christmas since I was a small child. This one is on Clint Black's CD titled "Looking For Christmas". I also like the song The Coolest Pair from the same album.


  • Wizards in Winter-Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Definitely the most epic Christmas music out there. Wizards in Winter is my favorite on their album, but I also like Wish Liszt (Toy Shop Madness) as well. The Wizards video is of someone's Christmast lights that they have synced to the song, which is pretty cool- I would have no idea how to do that myself.

  • Run, Run Rudolph- Chuck Berry
This is another rock-ish Christmas song, and I definitely dig the 50's rock style. Chuck Berry is awesome! I wouldn't mind a rock 'n roll 'lectric guitar for Christmas either :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment