Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, Part 1


So I have decided to start a new series that involves music, since most of my content revolves around video games, fantasy, and reading. Music is a big part of my like, it's what I majored in in college, and I want to share it with you. Basically what I'll be doing is sharing songs I enjoy listening to, talking a little bit about it, and then linking you to a video of the song itself (putting it into the actual post will clog up my blog). Since Christmas is right around the corner, I thought that I would start off with some of my favorite Christmas songs/carols. These are ones that are more traditional- I'll post another one in a day or two with more modern Christmas songs. Hope you like these!

  • Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht/Oiche Chiuin
This is absolutely my favorite Christmas carol of all time! While the English version (a.k.a. Silent Night) is nice, I prefer the original German version a lot more. The Gaelic version is also very nice. Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht is the German and Oiche Chiuin is the Gaelic, in case you were wondering, and the links are performed by the St. Thomas Boys Choir & Enya, respectively.

  • Carol of the Bells
Whether it's the instrumental or vocal version, I love this song. Both the Celtic Woman & the Philippine Madrigal Singers versions are good.

  • Coventry Carol
This song is a traditional English song, I believe, and it is so haunting to listen to. It's even better when sung in a cathedral where the sound just echoes. I like the Hayley Westenra version, but especially the Westminster Cathedral Choir recording.

  • In the Bleak Midwinter
Another Engish traditional song, but this time performed by the Gloucester Cathedral Choir. Very pretty song.

  • The Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71A
There should be no explanation as to why I enjoy this one. Composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

  • O Holy Night
Was originally a French Christmas carol called "Minuit Chrétiens", but was translated into English by John Sullivan Dwight. Just a typical Christmas carol, but I like the fact that the chorus is so powerful, lyrically and dynamically. I couldn't find a version on YouTube that really caught my interest, but the Josh Groban version isn't too bad.
  • God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Another traditional English carol first published in 1833. I really like the Annie Lennox- it's pretty cool.

  • Still, Still, Still
This song originated in Austria, so it is highly appropriate that I'm linking you to the Vienna Boys Choir recording.
  • O Tannenbaum
Another German song, my fellow Americans would recognize this song as "O Christmas Tree". This, as with Silent Night, I feel like the original German is better than the English translation. Nana Mouskouri sings it in this recording.

  • Don Oiche Ud I mBeithil
The last one for this post is a Gaelic Christmas song that I think is truly beautiful. In this version, The Chieftains play the instrumental parts with Kevin Conneff singing the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment