Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Memories From Childhood, Part I

With this series, I would like to reminisce a bit, and put a few things that I remember fondly from my childhood. Each entry won't have the same kinds of things each time, but most will be media related. Here we go!

Movie
"The Hobbit" (1977)

This had to have been one of my favorite movies of all time- well, at least when I was a little kid. From the age when my mom thought that the goblins wouldn't scare the crap out of me, I watched this all the time...I'm surprised I didn't wear the VHS out. I still have it to this day. Even though most people think that the soundtrack was bad (and I guess they're mostly right) the songs were one of my favorite parts of the movie (that and the battles). I especially liked the songs involving the goblins.

Video Game
Pokemon Red (1998)

This was one of the first video games on a system other than PC. While I found the TV show dumb, never really got into the manga; I loved collecting the cards and playing the games. The Pokemon series is still one of my favorite handheld gaming franchises. I remember the first time I played it, I holed myself in my room, sitting on my bean-bag chair and played it from the time I got home from Target to dinner time, and then again after dinner until my mom made me go to bed. I started with Charmander, and I remember having the hardest time beating Brock and Misty until I leveled up my Butterfree and Oddish enough.

TV Show
The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog (1998-1999)
While looking back now, this show was just a crappy copycat of Power Rangers, but as a kid, I loved this show even though it only lasted for a year. It was about 4 young knights in medieval/mystic Ireland, and many of the episodes involved Celtic myths. I remember I had one of the action figures (Angus- the one 2nd from the right) and I played with that thing a lot. It had many small armor pieces, and I never lost any of them surprisingly enough. To be quite honest, I'd like to get the action figures again, but they're hard to find- especially Ivar's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment